Ge dishwashers are famous for their durability and efficiency. But most times, certain factors can cause your Ge dishwasher to stop draining. For instance, if your drain pump is defective, it can cause this problem. Also, there are a host of other factors which can result in the dishwasher not draining.
When this happens, you need to fix it immediately to avoid more damage from the leaking water. Moreover, the piling up of dirty dishes inside your sink will not be funny at all. Thankfully, this article discusses the possible causes of Ge dishwasher draining issues and how to fix them. You’ll also find some tips to keep the kitchen aid working well. Read on to learn more.
- What Are the Possible Causes of A Ge Dishwasher Not Draining?
- How To Fix Ge Dishwasher Not Draining?
- Tips For Keeping Your Ge Dishwasher In Good Order
- Final Thoughts
What Are the Possible Causes of A Ge Dishwasher Not Draining?
The possible cause of your Ge dishwasher not draining is often due to a blocked drain pump motor. This drain pump motor is often jammed by hard food particles and obstructed drain hose below the sink. Other times, the Ge dishwasher not draining is due to the blocked air gap, broken drain pump impeller or motor, or badly assembled garbage disposal. So, if you face the problem of your Ge dishwasher not draining, there is an easy way out. But first of all, you need to check the possible causes of the problem. Such as;
1. Clogged Drain Hose
If the drain hose of a Ge dishwasher is clogged, it is not likely to drain water. As a result, it will no longer be a safe dishwasher for baby bottles. So, it is vital to check it first for any blockage.
If, while inspecting the drain hose, you find solid food particles within, use soapy, hot water and carefully push them down on the hose. Keep on doing so until every food particle that is clogging the drain hose is removed. If hot and soapy water didn’t cut it, you could try using baking soda and vinegar together with boiling water.
This combination can break down the hard food chunks into bits that can go down. Another thing you need to make sure of is that the drain hose doesn’t have holes within. When you connect it, thoroughly check the drain valve seal to see if there is any leakage. You can then tighten the things back if necessary before you can turn the water on.
2. Blocked Drain Filter
A blocked drain filter can be another thing that causes a Ge dishwasher not draining. The drain system of a Ge dishwasher depends on its drain filter to capture food particles. It also traps other dirt before it can reach the pump area of your Ge dishwasher.
The filter has a slim covering of preservative coating over it, which can clog easily. If there are excess particles inside the water as you clean up or wash dishes after cooking, it might clog the filter.
3. Garbage Disposal
If your dishwasher is not attached to a drain line but connected to a garbage disposal, it is likely that you didn’t remove the plug inside it. As a result, it can stop water from draining out. If your dishwasher is not connected to garbage disposal, ensure that the drain plug isn’t removed. For dishwashers that are attached to garbage disposal:
- Remember not to remove its drain plug
- Detach the drain hose from the garbage disposal
- Clean each end of the drain hose to make sure of proper drainage
- Connect back the drain hose if your dishwasher refuses to drain
- Switch on the dishwasher to test if the problem is solved
4. The Drain Pump
Another thing that may cause your Ge dishwasher not to drain is a defective drain pump. The drain pump uses an impeller to push water down the hose and out of your dishwasher. If this impeller breaks down, it can result in drainage issues.
So, if you want to find out what caused your dishwasher not to drain, you can use an ohmmeter to inspect the drain pump. If you cannot get any reading or it looks like there is no power present, and the pump isn’t running as it should change the part. A drain impeller forces down the machine into the drain or garbage disposal.
So, if it is defective, you should replace it immediately.
5. Blocked Air Gap
The air gap in the dishwasher is a tiny cylinder on the back edge of the kitchen sink. It is constructed to stop water from draining up and out of the air gap. Sometimes when you operate your dishwasher, you may experience water spurting out and drenching your countertop. This shows that the air gap of your dishwasher is blocked by something such as; food particles. The air gap is located below the unit to stop water from flowing out and inside your kitchen.
Thus, if the air gap clogs, it can prevent water from draining out of your dishwasher. This situation is likely to cause an overflow condition. If you want to resolve it;
- Bring out the air gap and clean the inside
- Detach the whole hose
- Ensure that you eliminate any form of blockage
A faulty timer can be another thing that prevents your Ge dishwasher from draining. Always ensure that your timer is working properly by testing it. If after testing it you find out that it is the cause of the problem, replace it. After replacing the timer and the problem continues, you may try buying a new assembly altogether.
7. Making Use of the Wrong Detergent
Certain detergents are not compatible with certain Ge dishwashers. So if you want to prevent draining issues, always make use of the appropriate detergent for your Ge dishwasher. Also, ensure that you use the right amount required.
The dishwasher soap is specially designed for washing dishes. In contrast, other detergents may be too sudsy for the sink. So, in case you make use of an inappropriate detergent by accident, turn off the appliance. Then, wipe the unit down from within to clean out the suds.
After that, open up the dishwasher door and use a sponge to scrub down its soapy tray. Then operate the unit for about 30 minutes using hot water as you add ordinary detergent that doesn’t have soap products. This is the best way you can stop your Ge dishwasher from not draining issue.
8. Jammed Check Valve
A jammed check valve in your dishwasher is likely to cause problems of not draining if you are not aware of it. If you find out that wastewater is draining back to your sink, it then means that the dishwasher check valve needs replacing.
A check valve inside the drain outlet allows water to flow outwards. Also, it prevents wastewater from getting inside the drain to damage the dishes you have already cleaned. Where the challenge comes is if there is a clog at each end. That is, both the drain tube and the pump. So, you need to examine the flapper physically.
Be on the lookout for damage or tear. Also, you should check out for anything that may be obstructing circulation and remove it.
How To Fix Ge Dishwasher Not Draining?
If your Ge dishwasher is not draining, do not panic. You should diagnose the problem to pinpoint the particular item causing the issue. When you find out the specific part causing the problem, you can carry out the fixing by yourself or a professional.
For your Ge dishwasher not draining, follow these steps;
- Look for leakage on the floor that surrounds the base of your dishwasher.
- Inspect the drain plumbing of your dishwasher to ensure that there are no drain clogs.
- Examine the drain hose which is fixed on the dishwasher to prevent drainage problems.
- Lookout for any food particles or other such items that can cause drain clogging inside the filter screen.
- Inspect the dishwasher inlet hose if there is any leakage on the drain line. Also, make sure that the clamp of the drain hose is secure.
- Look for a power source for the dishwasher and ensure that it is working.
- You can try resetting the Ge dishwasher. Just press down and hold its start button for about 3 to 4 seconds
After carrying out these steps and yet the Ge dishwasher is still not draining, then it means that the appliance is broken. Thus, you should look for a professional appliance repairer to service the device for you.
Tips For Keeping Your Ge Dishwasher In Good Order
It is always easy for people to forget about cleaning their cleaning appliances. Especially when you are speaking about dishwashers. Some may just wipe it down on the outside, and they are done. Thankfully, cleaning your dishwasher is straightforward. Just follow these steps;
Items you Will Need:
- Dish soap
- Distilled white vinegar
- Kitchen towel
- Baking soda
With these items, proceed to;
1. Scrub Down the Drain
When your dishwasher’s drain is clean, it will ensure that the cleaning is done efficiently. Also, it prevents damage to the dishwasher. So, you should;
- Clear out your dishwasher and remove its bottom rack. You can find the drain beneath the basin, under the spray arm.
- Clean out any food particles with a kitchen towel and throw them away
- Make it a habit to always clear your dishwasher’s drain every time you finish washing dishes. Ensure that dishes are scrubbed clean of any large bits of remaining food.
2. Wash Filter
Some dishwashers come with removable filters, while some come with circular ones. And the latter stays beneath the dishwasher’s spray arm below the dishwasher’s interior.
- Check your appliance manual if you’re in doubt about the location of the filters. If the filter is in a cylindrical form, whine it counterclockwise and raise it straight up. If your filter is the coarse type, its metal plate can release together with the cylindrical filter
- Use soapy and hot water to wash both of them.
- Examine the sump for hard food chunks of debris. That is the hole in which the cylindrical filter resides. If the item isn’t clear, you can clear it.
- After clearing the filter, put it back.
3. Wash With The Vinegar
White vinegar is very effective as a sanitizer, deodorizer, and cleaner. It is very helpful for your dishwasher’s interior.
- Fill white vinegar inside the dishwasher-safe cup
- Position the cup at your dishwasher’s top rack
- Set the hottest water level on the appliance and perform a cycle
4. Perform A Baking Soda Cycle
Baking soda is also a cleaning agent not only used for baking purposes. So;
- When you are done with the vinegar cycle, spray 1 cup of baking soda across the base of your dishwasher.
- Conduct a short cycle of operation with the hottest water level
- The baking soda will then deodorize the appliance and eliminate any residual stain.
5. Clean The Rubber Gasket
Due to everyday usage, the rubber seal around the appliance door can become dirty. With your kitchen towel, soapy, and hot water, wipe the gunk away from the gasket.
6. Clean The Frontage
Use hot, clean, and soapy water to rinse your kitchen towel. Then use it to scrub down the frontage of your machine. In case your dishwasher is a stainless-steel type, you can use the cleaner for stainless steel to shine it.
The Ge dishwashers are designed for reliability, efficiency, and durability. However, the only problem you may encounter with them is when they stop draining. Thankfully you now know how to fix Ge Dishwasher not draining. But if you’ve tried the steps above and nothing worked, visit an appliance repair shop for professional help.