Are you experiencing discoloration issues after every time you wash your baby’s bottles? Don’t feel alone if you are. Almost all moms face such issues as bottles going orange even after washing them in a dishwasher.
And if you’re wondering why do baby bottles go orange in dishwasher, it can happen due to several reasons.
Any baby bottle can go orange in the dishwasher due to the fat layer of baby formula milk or breast milk. Besides the milk fat layer, high temperature, cleaning with other dishes, and the bottle material are also key reasons to experience discoloration issues.
Well, the good news is you can get rid of the discoloration issue. So, let’s get you through the reasons and reliable guide for getting rid of this issue.
- Why Do Baby Bottles Go Orange In Dishwasher?
- Dishwasher Orange Stains: How To Remove Them
- How Often Do You Need To Wash Baby Bottles
- Tips To Make Your Baby Bottles Last Longer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do Baby Bottles Go Orange In Dishwasher?
Your baby’s bottles are getting orange for a couple of reasons. Here, we’ve included those reasons that contribute to bringing the orange appearance in your baby bottle after putting them in a dishwasher. Have a look:
1. Milk’s Fat Layer:
Milk fat layer is one of the reasons that bring the orange stains in a baby’s bottle in a dishwasher. When you put the baby bottle in a dishwasher, it may thoroughly clean the bottle but cannot be able to remove the stains.
That is because the fat layer of baby formula milk and breast milk can cling to the bottles inside. And the fat only can be removed through scrubbing, and sadly the dishwasher doesn’t have any scrubbing facilities.
2. Food Pigmentation:
Alongside formula milk and breast milk, using a baby bottle to feed juice or other liquids is common. And sadly the dishwasher is not capable enough to clean food and drink pigmentation. Moreover, feeding fruit juice of blueberries and strawberries is the core reason for discoloration with your baby bottle.
However, you can use an ideal dishwasher for baby bottles, but sometimes you can see orange stains on them. These are just perfect for baby bottle stains and other products that your baby uses.
3. Washing Bottles With Other Dishes
Another reason to have orange stains after washing your baby’s bottle in the dishwasher is to clean it with other kitchen utensils. Not only you, but many parents clean their baby products with other foods and the pigment of different foods causes orange spots. And most of the time, tomato-based foods are the main culprit that causes bottles’ color.
4. Hot Temperature (Uses Baby Bottles That Are Not Safe in the Dishwasher)
If you’re not using a dishwasher-safe baby bottle, then you should never put it in the dishwasher. Silicone and plastic bottles can easily lose their original appearance if you place them in hot water.
Since dishwashers clean the dishes with the help of dish detergent, other components, and hot water, putting bottles on the dishwasher can cause discoloration. Always check the bottle’s manual if it’s dishwasher safe or not.
5. Wrong Cleaning Solution
Last but not least, using the wrong cleaning solution while cleaning your baby bottle in the dishwasher can cause orange stains. Using a cleaning solution packed with abrasive and harsh ingredients will cause orange or black spots on your bottles.
These are some common reasons that cause orange stains or spots on baby bottles after washing them in a dishwasher. Fortunately, these stains can be removed, and we’ll show the procedure in the next section.
Dishwasher Orange Stains: How To Remove Them
Although the orange stains are not harmful or don’t affect the baby’s food, they provide a bad appearance to the bottle. However, if you want to get rid of orange stains, you need to follow the hacks and steps discussed below. We’ve included ways to eliminate orange stains from your baby bottles, have a look:
Using vinegar is one of the most effective solutions that you can follow to remove orange and all types of stains from your baby bottles. And to learn the removing process follow the section below:
- Step- 1: Prepare the water: The very first thing you have to do is prepare the water and using boiled water would be the best solution. And after boiling the water, let it cool down.
- Step- 2: Use Vinegar: Now prepare the cleaning solution by mixing vinegar with it. You have to use an equal amount of vinegar and water for proper mixing.
- Step- 3: Soak the bottle: Once the cleaning solution is ready, now soak the stained baby bottle on it. Soak the bottle for a few hours.
- Step- 4: Rinse properly: Once you notice all the stains or most of the stains are removed, it’s time to rinse the bottle. Rinse the bottle at room temperature water.
- Step- 5: Let the bottle dry: After cleaning the bottle properly, it’s time to let the bottle dry properly. Once the bottle is dry properly, now you can store it or use it again for feeding.
Using Baking Soda:
Using baking soda is another simple but effective solution to remove orange stains from the baby bottle. Here are the steps you can follow:
- First, boil the perfect amount of water and mix one teaspoon of baking soda per cup of water.
- Let the water cool down and then soak the baby bottle in it. Let the bottle be soaked for a couple of hours, or you can soak it overnight.
- If the stains are not removed yet, follow the previous procedure again.
- Once all the stains are removed, wash the bottle with clean water and let it dry.
Using Dish Soap:
Using dish soap is an old and effective solution to clean orange stains from a water bottle. And here are the steps to wash bottle with dish soap:
- Prepare All the Items: You have to ensure all the required items you’ll need to clean your bottle with dish soap. And you’ll need quality baby detergent, hot water, and bottle brush.
- Separate All the Bottle Parts: After feeding your baby, separate all the possible bottle parts and rinse the baby bottle to remove leftover residue.
- Soak the Bottle in Soapy Water: It’s time to soak the baby bottle in the mixture of specific baby detergent or solution and water. It’s better to use warm or hot water and soak the bottle for 20 to 30 minutes.
Use the Brush
Using a baby bottle brush to scrub the inside area is a great way to get rid of the orange stain that accumulated inside. Use the brush and gently scrub the inside area and all other parts.
- Rinse the Bottle: Once you notice all the stains are removed, it’s time to rinse the bottle in room temperature water. Rinse the bottle and its body parts thoroughly and let the bottle dry before reuse.
How Often Do You Need To Wash Baby Bottles
Wondering how often you need to wash your baby bottle? Well, it’s not a tricky question to answer as everybody knows baby bottles need cleaning after every feeding. That is because germs and bacteria can quickly affect the bottle, which can cause health issues.
In addition, not washing your baby’s bottle after each use will create a bad smell, issues in body parts, and cause discoloration. And to avoid germs, discoloration, and other issues, throw away the unfinished food from the bottle when the food stays for more than two hours
In short, you have to wash your baby bottle after every use and give it a deep clean once a day.
Tips To Make Your Baby Bottles Last Longer
Proper care is one of the critical aspects of increasing any product or items’ lifespan and keeping its integrity intact. And the same goes with baby bottles, and here we’ve included some tips to make your baby bottles last longer and stay shiny. Have a look:
Use with care:
Most new parents don’t know the proper procedure, which causes damage to the bottle. The common usage tip is to never pour too hot milk into the baby’s bottle and make sure the milk is at room temperature. Hot milk will definitely damage the bottle’s material and other parts as well.
Material to Wash:
Throughout the above sections, we’ve already discussed most things about washing methods. In short, using dishwashers or detergents made with harsh components can damage the bottle and impact the baby’s health.
Another baby bottle maintenance process most parents don’t do properly is the storage system. Lack of a proper storing system costs baby bottles lifespan. After each cleaning, try to dry the bottle and other parts properly before storing them. And store the bottle in a nice, clean, and dry place.
Frequently Asked Questions
When it’s about baby bottles, some of the common questions may appear in your mind. That’s why here we’ve included some of the commonly asked questions with answers to clear your thoughts. Have a look:
Do unopened baby bottles expire?
Maximum baby bottles don’t come with an expiry date as they’re usually made of high quality plastic made from virgin raw material to ensure maximum safety. However, after a certain period of usage, the baby bottle or its several parts will automatically go bad and will be clearly visible.
When should you throw away baby bottles?
Wondering how long you should use the same baby bottle before it goes out of service? You should use a baby bottle for one or two months, and if you notice any damage or discoloration, you should change the bottle immediately.
Can you clean bottles with vinegar?
Vinegar is nontoxic and eco-friendly, hence one of the best cleaning solutions that can be used for baby bottle cleaning. It’s better to use vinegar to clean and eliminate bacteria and germs instead of harmful cleaning solutions.
Can I use the same bottles for the second baby?
As long as the bottle is not broken or doesn’t have any structural damage, you can use it for your second baby. You may need to replace the nipple, but washing and storing your bottle properly will ensure safe reuse.
It’s common to see orange stains in baby bottles even after washing them manually or using a dishwasher. And you’ll notice discoloration due to milk’s fat layer and following inappropriate cleaning methods. Sometimes, the bottle condition and high dishwasher temperature are also the reason to see orange stains.
However, now you know the key reasons why do baby bottles go orange in dishwasher and orange stain removing process. Now you also know some of the tips that will help you to increase your baby bottle’s lifespan as well. We hope all your confusion about baby bottles discoloration is clear now, thanks for staying till the end.